What are the causes of dandruff?
Dandruff can have several causes, including:
- Dry skin.
- Irritated, oily skin
- Not shampooing often enough
- Other skin conditions
- Sensitivity to hair care products
The remedies for dandruff are:
- Vinegar: Vinegar is capable of killing scalp fungus and bacteria. It also helps in treating dry skin and reducing dandruff not caused by fungus. Apply an equal quantity mixture of white vinegar with water on the scalp skin about half an hour before a head wash.
- Tea tree oil: One study showed that shampoos with just 5 percent tea tree oil significantly improves the severity of dandruff. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil to your favorite shampoo as you wash normally.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is known to reduce overactive fungi that can cause dandruff.
The baking soda scrub is a mild exfoliant that helps remove dead skin. Excess oil on the scalp (another reason for dandruff) can also be reduced with the help of baking soda. Wet your hair and then rub a handful of baking soda vigorously into your scalp. Skip the shampoo and go right to rinsing.
- Lemon juice: One cause of dandruff is the imbalance in the pH levels of the scalp. The acidity of lemon juice helps in balancing the pH levels of the scalp. Coconut oil contains conditioning agents and antibacterial properties, and these can make your hair stronger. Just massage 2 tablespoons lemon juice into your scalp and rinse with water. Then stir 1 teaspoon lemon juice into 1 cup water and rinse your hair with it.
- Olive oil: There are two ways in which olive oil can cure dandruff. One,olive oil moisturizes the dry areas of the scalp and prevents them from flaking. Two, olive oil can soak into the thick and scaly areas of the scalp that cause continuous dandruff issues. Massage about 10 drops into your scalp and cover with a shower cap overnight. Follow your regular shampoo routine in the morning.